Vitamin J: The Biggest Deficiency I See and How to Supplement it
These days, if you are deficient in something, you can get just about any supplement to fix it. Low in Iron? That’s fine – swallow an iron tablet or undergo an infusion. Perhaps you are low on Vitamin D? No worries – take four gel pills daily. Nowadays, we have become an instant fix society and have forgotten that we can avoid these problems by simply making small but noticeable changes on and off the plate as a preventative measure and well ahead of necessity. The solution for these two problems is simple – more red meat and some added time in the sunshine. The same goes for our emotional and mental vitamin deficiencies – Vitamin J is essential to a healthy and happy life. Adequate levels of this nutrient allow us to remain present, grateful, proud and aligned to our core values and purpose.
What is Vitamin J?
Vitamin J is otherwise known and described as ‘joy.’ This essential nutrient is responsible for bringing happiness into our lives. Unlike pleasure, which we gain through external factors like other people, items, objects, or events, joy is defined as a predominately INTERNAL feeling. Joy is something you feel deep within, regardless of your circumstances. To avoid the symptoms of joy deficiency, people are medicating themselves, losing sleep, taking stress leave, drinking or taking drugs, or simply becoming more prone to complaining.
The good news is that supplementing low levels of Vitamin J is something you can start doing today. Ensuring the presence of joy in our lives is a conscious decision that every person has control over. When you take a close look at civilisations around the world, many appear to have nothing, yet those are the ones who are the happiest.
Believe it or not, happiness doesn’t just land on your lap. Your life doesn’t just get better by chance. It is through consistent, ongoing changes that you are more likely to experience feelings of joy. Pride comes from actioning things yourself; gratitude comes from taking the time to see the good around you; relaxation comes from taking time for yourself and not filling your days with things that overwhelm you.
High levels of Vitamin J are often attributed to:
- Increased levels of relaxation
- Higher endorphins
- Good general well being
- Lower levels of stress and anxiety
- Decreased likelihood of illness and disease
However, a lack of Vitamin J leads to several dangerous health problems, including:
- Increased cortisol
- Stress and anxiety
- People with a Vitamin J deficiency report that life can be challenging, and the way they make decisions may not always align with their core values.
- They often turn to eating, shopping, or bad relationships.
- Physically, those who lack vitamin J are more likely to develop illnesses such as; heart disease, pulmonary disease, diabetes, hypertension, colds and flu, stomach and bowel issues, and upper respiratory infections, to name a few.
This deficiency often goes untreated by modern medicine as doctors fail to ask assessing questions to help determine the root cause of your (often seemingly unrelated) symptoms.
While many people are deficient in Vitamin J, EVERYONE can access treatment easily through simple lifestyle changes and supplementation.
Ways To Increase Your Vitamin J Stores
- Taking time to regularly identify three things you are grateful for and why
- Express gratitude or love to someone (through a note, email, or conversation)
- Identify your signature strengths and how you can use them this week
- Communicate daily with friends and family
- Make new friends
- Take steps to forgive someone or repair a relationship
- Sing, dance, move
- Laugh and be silly
- Get creative
- Experiment with different forms of exercise
- Try yoga
- Spend time outside
- Complete a sport or activity that makes you challenge yourself (hiking, rock climbing, etc) or try something new
- Make time to just sit and be
- Write in a journal
- Say no to more tasks and responsibilities
- Start embracing more self-care
Optimising your life and increasing your levels of Vitamin J comes from a commitment to self-care and taking control of your own happiness rather than waiting for your life to change on its own. Taking the time to review this critical area of your life regularly will help you make ongoing changes and continue to evolve. You have the ability and power to start increasing your levels of Vitamin J right now – it’s up to you to actually begin doing it!
Keen to build up your Vitamin J stores?
We could all use a little more joy sprinkled into our lives!
Through my 1:1 Wellbeing Coaching program, you can learn how to cultivate a more positive mindset, build resilience to stress, achieve your potential and tap into your personal power.
Book a discovery call today to get started!
From the blog
If student academic success and school-wide performance are on a school leader’s agenda, then prioritising staff wellbeing should be a forethought, not an afterthought. There…
Defining and measuring staff wellbeing is a complex task for schools. Our personal interpretation of wellbeing hinges on our unique perspectives, what we value most,…
In order to be effective in the current climate, school leaders must embody a mix of cognitive, psychological, and social skills. Personal attributes such as…
On the back of the past few years impacted by the pandemic, interruptions to student learning, a national shortage of teachers and unmanageable workloads, staff…